Appreciation for man and nature has always been the basis of all economic activity for the Bläuel family.
Fritz and Burgi Bläuel came to the Mani in the late 1970s in search of an alternative way of life. They soon started building up a pioneer organic agriculture project together with the local olive farmers and oil-millers.
With entrepreneurial vision, respect for people and for the cultural landscape of the Mani together with much effort and enthusiasm, they managed to unite the farmers; they would become the first organic producers in Greece.
The fruits of their labour are not just in the form of award winning MANI organic extra virgin olive oils, organic olives and organic mezes but also in the preservation of Mani’s cultural landscape as a centre of traditional, organic olive cultivation in Greece.
While the two during the 80’s created the first groups of organized Greek organic farmers, and started exporting the first products, Fritz’ brother Manfred took over the distribution in Austria.
In 1991, Bläuel launched the first EU-certified organic olive oil in Greece.
Felix Bläuel, son of Fritz and Burgi, has been working for the company since 2009 and took over the management of the company in the following years. Today, the family-owned company is the largest employer in the Mani region and an established bottling and export company for olive oil, olive products and Greek delicatessen specialities. Bläuel employs around 65 people and cooperates with over 300 olive growers.
The MANI brand stands for:
- Social and ethical responsibility
- The preservation of the cultural landscape through traditional agricultural practices
- Environmental Sustainability
That’s what makes the MANI products unique
Five members of staff are responsible for quality management at MANI: from the cultivation consultancy, organisation and control of harvesting, extraction and storage up to quality assurance of the finished products. The sensory quality of the olive oil is tested internally and several times a year in external panel ring tests.
This ensures that quality controls are always up to date.
- Certification of most olive oils and olive products according to Naturland Eco and Fair Standards by Naturland Zeichen GmbH since spring 2014
- Certification according to EU and BioSuisse standards for organic farming by the Greek government. Certification Body BioHellas
- Certification of the company: ISO 22000 (HACCP), – ISO 9001 and IFS (International Food Standard)
Gold Award for MANI Olive Oil Selection at:
- EVO IOOC 2018
- BIOL Italy 2018 and 2017
- New York International Olive Oil Competition 2017
- Athena International Olive Oil Competition 2017
- Terra Olivo 2016
- SILVER Health Claim Award London International Olive Oil Competition 2017 for high polyphenol content (high polyphenol content increases the sensual quality and antioxidant effect of olive oil and is therefore considered to be beneficial to health).
- Tasted, Tested & True Award 2017 for high polyphenol content
- Eco-test “very good” for MANI Kalamata olives in Lake
- Great Taste Awards Gold for MANI Kalamata olives al naturale